Melbourne Doula

Welcome to 'Melbourne Doula', the place where I share what birth work is teaching is me, and what I am learning from the wonderful families who have invited me to share this most special season of their lives. Here you will find information about me and the doula services I provide, birth stories from remarkable women and their loved ones, as well as all kinds of resources to enrich your own journey of discovery. And welcome also to BLISSFUL HERBS, the home of beautiful herbal teas and bath herbs to support wellness through every season of life.

Breastfeeding Bliss herbal tea

I gave some of this tea to some of my birth clients before I had Rory. One of my clients served it to me during a post-natal visit. I remember thinking, "Yum, this is good tea!" before I realised it was my own blend! Since having Rory (in December 2010), I've drunk litres of it and it is indeed delicious. If you are keen on the aniseed-y taste of fennel, caraway and blessed thistle, you'll love this. It is nutritionally rich and contains superb galactogogues to help boost and maintain a bountiful supply for your little nursling.

You can make up your tea in the morning and drink it whenever throughout the day. Place a "finger-ful" of herbs (about 1-2 tbsp) in a glass jug, bowl or even a jar, or a ceramic pot. Pour on hot water and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Now you have your basic herbal liquid ready. In a mug, dissolve a little bit of Manuka honey if you wish, then strain as much of the tea as you want - all tea if you like it strong, or top up with hot water if you like it subtle. Add a twist of lemon or lime if you wish - or enjoy as is to appreciate the flavours. It doesn't matter whether you drink your tea hot, room temperature or chilled. I suggest drinking 3-4 cups throughout the day, but you can certainly drink more if you wish.



Contents:

Alfalfa - boost milk production, nourishes nutritionally and eases colic in babies via the mother's milk

Blessed Thistle - a richly nutritious well known galactogogue

Caraway - an aromatic herb (seed) known to increase milk supply

Fennel - anothe galactogogue which stimulates the milk ejection reflex (the let down) and also provides anti-colic benefits for the baby through the mother's milk

Goat's Rue - an effective galactogogue which stimulates the mammary glands

Marshmallow - makes milk sweeter and increases the fat content of milk

Nettle - a nourishing herb, rich in iron, calcium and Vitamin K and also an effective galactogogue

Vervain - a calming herb which nourishes the nervous system and enhances milk supply
 
Cost:
25g = $5.00

50g = $8.50
60g = $10.00
100g = $16.00
150g = 23.00
200g = 30.00

plus postage of $8.00 for parcels up to 500g gross, Australia-wide.

Blissful Herbs offers a 10% discount off the Breastfeeding Bliss tea for mothers who are expressing or pumping to donate EBM to mothers and babies in need.

We also offer  10% birthworker discount to professionals purchasing products for their clients.

To Order: email blissfulherbs@bigpond.com or phone Julie 5966 5980 or 0432 105



Tailoring the tea to your taste
These galactogogue herbs work great, but this particular blend is not exactly the "Miss Congeniality" of herbal tea when it comes to taste. If you are not keen on the taste of aniseed, you might not like the Fennel and the Caraway in this blend. If that's you, let me know - all my teas are lovingly hand-blended and I am happy to tailor your tea to suit your tastes! For those who find this tea a little bitter, we can add some natural organic Stevia leaf to make it sweeter. Hibiscus is another lovely sweet herb that adds a fruity flavour and a pretty rosy hue to the tea. Some women prefer a touch of Lavender or Orange peel or Lemon peel to their tea.

You may wish to try our Mother's Milk bath soak along with your Breastfeeding Bliss tea.

NEW: We now have the More Milk Tincture which may include your choice of:

Fennel, Hops, Chastetree, Liquorice Root, Goat's Rue, Fenugreek and Withania.

Prices:
25 ml = $7.50
50 ml = $14.00
100 ml = $20.00
200 ml = $35.00

100 ml bottle


A note from Julie:
I personally went through the low milk supply experience with my 4th baby, after having no issues with my first three. So I know how difficult it can be. Here are links to more support and information for dealing with low milk supply and optimising the experience for you and your baby.

Reynaud's Syndrome and Nipple Vasospasm can affect your breastfeeding bliss. Bilberry and Prickly Ash are herbs that can warm and support optimal circulation. Contact me if you would like a warming herbal tea containing these herbs. blissfulherbs@bigpond.com 

More help for Reynaud's 
 
Disclaimer: This information is of a general informational nature and does not constitute medical advice. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any health condition. Any health condition should be referred to your chosen health care practitioner. Check with your health care practitioner before commencing to use any herbal tea, and be aware of any personal and family allergies.

14 comments:

Nicki said...

I am enjoying drinking the breastfeeding tea, and I DO notice a difference when I don't use it. So thank you Julie and blissful herbs. I have now ordered my second batch and will continue to use it whilst breastfeeding!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for the breastfeeding tea. After a week of drinking 2-3 cups a day, I am really noticing the difference. I express milk to donate and have gone from 150-180mL a day to 250mL a day without any extra pumping sessions. I have also noticed I am feeling fuller.

I must admit the tea is a bit of an acquired taste (although admittedly I have never been much of a herbal tea drinker). I much appreciate your offer to tinker a bit with the blend in my next order to improve the taste for me.

Bec

treebytheriver said...

Thanks for your feedback, Bec. I don't much like the Hops flavour either. Perhaps next time we could leave out the Hops. Also, we can add a fruity or citrus flavour.

Georgianna said...

This tea is delicious, thirst quenching and effective. After struggling with my supply I now wake up ready to burst & experience 'let down' many times a day whether my son is ready to feed or not. I'm so grateful to Julie & glad I discovered her gorgeous tea. Service & delivery is friendly and speedy too

Anonymous said...

As a single mum of four kids I am very busy which is part of the reason I struggle with my milk supply at various times, but I want to keep breast feeding as long as possible (my babe will be four months next week), preferably as naturally as possible, only using prescribed medication as a last resort.

The Breastfeeding Bliss tea definitely does help my supply. I do not have a huge disposable income & only spend money where necessary or where I get value - and I definitely get this from your product. I am so thankful I googled how to increase my supply & found your site!

Anonymous said...

I have been drinking the Breastfeeding Bliss tea for several months as I have found it really effective in giving my otherwise low supply a boost. Julie has also been great in making a few tweaks to the recipe for me over the past few orders which has been a lovely personal touch to this fabulous service. Many thanks for helping keep this milk train running! :)

Anonymous said...

I just love your Breastfeeding Bliss tea and it has done wonders for my supply. I wanted to tell you that using your tea I've been able to wean myself off of the Motilium (domperidone) that I'd been prescribed to help my supply. Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Loved it! And it helped. I had to stop drinking it- too much milk! Sara.

Anonymous said...

hello, my 'step-daughter'(whose mum died about a week after she gave birth to her first baby a few weeks back) is not producing much milk. i'm trying to find herbal solutions to her problem. i found your site, and this may sound like a crazy question, but your site is so pretty and positive, i wonder if your feedback comments are really true, and whether you have had anyone say that the breastfeeding bliss tea DIDN't work for them!? I would prefer to buy her a tincture if that was available.
Also, how many cups of tea would you get out of a 50 g back of this tea. Please advise. Don't be offended by my comment (there's also a compliment in there). I'm just trying to be direct, real and polite at the same time these days.
Thank you

treebytheriver said...

Hi Anonymous, thank you for your comment. Yes the feedback comments are true, and are from real women. A couple of the comments were emailed to me and I've cut and pasted the feedback into an "anonymous" comment. But they are all actual feedback from real women. I haven't had any negative feedback, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any, I just think people are probably less likely to contact me if they've had under-whelming results. I do know *one* woman who didn't really get results from the tea: ME! Can you imagine how frustrating!! After feeding 3 babies effortlessly, for some reason I encountered inexplicable low milk supply with baby #4. I turned over every stone trying to get answers and NOTHING worked, not domperidone, nothing. Had him, and me, checked for everything under the sun. I never really got to the bottom of it. I think our case may have been complex. But for the most part, when milk supply can be helped by imrpoving nutrition, supporting the liver, and balancing the hormones (and that's most women) this tea seems to help. I was an exception. Yes I know, Physician heal thyself! I wish! (I have used loads of the other herbs and love them, use them everyday - just this one had no measurable effects for this particular problem - low supply). So there you go. One case study at least! I suggest about 2-3 g of herbs per cup of tea, so a 50g packet will give you about 16 cups of tea. If you would like to order, please email me at blissfulherbs@bigpond.com and include your postal address.

Anonymous said...

I gave this tea to a girlfriend who was having trouble with her milk supply and it was really beginning to cause her stress. After drinking the tea consistently for a couple of days, her supply was back and she was feeling so much better within herself. Thankyou so much Julie for your work.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for this beautiful Galactofuge tea!!! It's truly divine 🙂 it works amazingly well used really consistently, having a big mug full directly after each feed really helps to lower supply as I wean. Thank you God's garden medicine woman. Anna xx

Anonymous said...

My order of tincture and tea arrived today I was very pleasantly surprised at how good both taste. I'm about to have my second cup of tea I think I could easily drink this way past my breastfeeding journey. Thank you so much. Alison

Anonymous said...

I always meant to message you to thank you for the gorgeous herbal mixtures and cord tie we bought from you just before our sons birth, but I only just now remembered! Our son, Hamish, was born in a blissful home waterbirth after caesarean. We used the Post Natal Bliss herbs as a spray postpartum and in Hamish's first bath, they were incredibly soothing and I'm sure helped me heal so much faster than I otherwise would have! I also used the Breastfeeding Bliss tea as a spray for my cracked nipples which was also wonderful! Thank you for all you do. Aimee